Fireworks and Fickel Farm
By Rudy Hemmann
At Tuesday evening’s board meeting the trustees chose to sit on a request to rezone the undeveloped portion of the project known locally as Fickel Farm, a tract of approximately 32.3 acres, from Planned Unit Development (PUD) to Limited Multi-family (R-2).
The town’s community development director, Curt Freese, presented the application to the board.
In his presentation Freese outlined the differences between the requested R-2 zoning and the PUD zoning which currently applies to the property. Freese pointed out the town had made it a point to discontinue using the PUD zoning and instead use straight zoning (such as R-1, R-2 or R-3). Straight zoning is viewed as preferable by most developers because once a development is approved there is certainty a future board will not be able to “change the rules” governing the development.
Freese noted the R-2 zoning being requested was more restrictive than the PUD zoning in that the PUD approves apartments of up to 42 dwelling units. The specter of apartments being allowed in the subdivision should be of concern to the current residents of Fickel Farm and Mary’s Farm since density was voiced as being a concern by virtually every speaker during a public comment portion of the item.
Following public comment and discussion by the board it was decided by a 6 to 1 vote to treat Tuesday evening’s session as a “first reading” and withhold action on the item until the next meeting of the board when a “second reading” would be held. The trustees were warned against discussing the issue further with the public since the public hearing on the item was closed, thus barring the taking of any more testimony on the item.
The trustees unanimously approved an Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) between the town and Larimer County for the replacement of a bridge over the Home Supply Ditch on Larimer County Road (LCR) 14 (AKA 42ND Street SW). The location of an existing bridge over the ditch, which is deemed to be inadequate due to development in the area, is at the intersection of LCR 14 and LCR 15H.
The town’s portion of the estimated $514,325 is $315,179 or 58 percent. Larimer County will pay the remaining $199,146 or 42 percent.
In other action the board unanimously approved a motion authorizing the town administrator to enter into an agreement with Zambelli Fireworks for a July 3, 2019, fireworks display. Town Administrator Chris Kirk pointed out finding an operator for a display on July 4 was not possible, so town staff opted for July 3. The town has budgeted $25,000 for the project. Location for the display will be above Bein Park
The board unanimously approved a 30-day extension of a water purchase agreement between the town and Heron Lakes Investments, LLC represented by Jim Birdsall and Jon Turner, president, Berthoud Heritage Metropolitan District, had requested a 60-day extension.
The trustees approved a resolution vacating a right-of-way within the Heritage Ridge subdivision, second filing, in accordance with the plat.
Upon following the advice of an interview committee comprised of one town staff person, one PORT (Parks, Open Space, Recreation and Trails) committee member and two board members the board approved Jose Cabrera and Israel Barlow to three-year terms on the PORT committee and approved Lyn Ludwig to a two-year term.
Mayor Karspeck read an Arbor Day proclamation into the record.
- November, 30 2017
By Mark French The Surveyor Christmas cheer will be in plentiful supply at the Wildfire...
- January, 17 2020
By Amber McIver-Traywick The Surveyor Monday, Jan. 13, the Longmont man who was arrested for...
- September, 13 2019
The Northern Colorado Drug Task Force’s (NCDTF) eight-month-long investigation known as Operation Malverde has resulted...
- October, 19 2018
To the editor: When I first heard John Kefalas was running for county commissioner, I...
- February, 07 2019
By Dan Karpiel The Surveyor When Berthoud’s Angie Purdy went to record a series of...
- July, 12 2019
By Rudy Hemmann The Surveyor The Berthoud Board of Trustees was in no mood to...
- Trustees pass supplemental budget
- PrairieStar Fifth Filing approved by ...
- Town board work session examines oil ...